SHS Class of 1958
Copyright 2013 Gary Smith & SHS Class of 1958
209 Gale Ave.
Kingsport, TN 37660
History of Sullivan High School
In 1931, the Horse Creek Academy opened its doors
to one hundred thirty students, both high school and
elementary and five teachers. At the end of that
school year there were sixteen graduating seniors.
The next school year saw an increase of three in the
graduating Senior class and one teacher was added
to the faculty.
Sullivan steadily grew, and in 1947 one thousand four
hundred students, both elementary, high school and
twenty-four teachers attended classes at Sullivan.
At that time, Sullivan was serving the area which is
now served by Lynn View and Ketron. Mr. J.C. Akard
was principal that year. There was no cafeteria and
meals had to be served in the classrooms. The
over-crowded conditions were so bad that cardboard
partitions were erected in the halls and made to serve
The school year of 1948-49 saw relief from the
over-crowded conditions. Lynn View was ready for
occupancy and a new cafeteria was ready for use at
The next year the new Sullivan Elementary School
was opened, but the Miller-Perry School burned and
conditions once again became over-crowded.
In 1950, the eight grade students were shifted to the
elementary school, but the next year they were again
in the high school building.
During the summer of 1953, approximately
$170,000.00 was spent remodeling Sullivan which
was badly in need of repair. The library, study hall,
home economics, science and band rooms were
improved and modernized.
The students were pleasantly surprised at the
beginning of the fall term by the spaciousness and
modern facilities of remodeled Sullivan.
The modernized Sullivan had only a short life,
however. On March 5,1954, the front portion of the
building went up in flames. Everything was destroyed
except the two back wings and gymnasium. Some of
the rooms that were destroyed were the typing,
shorthand, office, auditorium, art, home economics
Classes were held wherever space could be found
until it was built back. Chorus and Band was held
across the road underneath the grill. It was dirt under
there but we had a good time learning with Mr. Gene
Beaulah Salyers Thigpen